- My Fault, I’m Female is collecting short personal stories of experiences of sexism.
- The Westboro Baptist Church (famously and aggressively homophobic) protested at Comic-Con for “worship of false idols”. Comics Alliance reports on the cosplay counter-protest at Super Heroes vs. the Westboro Baptist Church and Courtney Stoker has more photos. (Note re triggers: photos are mainly of the counter-protest, the Comics Alliance one looks like it might have a WBC sign in the background.)
- Speaking of Comic-Con, Kate Kotler reports on the Girl Geeks Tweet-Up at Comic Con.
- Out of work? Maybe it’s ’cause you’re unattractive: a survey of hiring managers suggests that being attractive is a very important hiring criterion.
Right. So education, skills and experience are, you know, sort of relevant, but not as relevant as how you look in a dress.
- The Invisibility of Women in Computing Jobs: an Intel hiring simulation game had a wee gap.
But then, when you went to hire employees…they forgot to include an option to hire any women.
- Hey, Baby Link Roundup/Open Thread:
What I think the detractors are missing is that this is a video game, and it’s helpful to look at it in the context of video games and video game culture. Both Hess and Kesler seem hung up on the violent aspect of the game, but, like it or not, video games are, by and large, violent.
- redeyedtreefrog is sceptical of another explanation of why so few women in science:
…they argue women perceive STEM careers (those in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) as largely incompatible with one of their core goals: Engaging in work that helps others.… I admit to considerable skepticism about this. Women and business? Not so altruistic.
- firecat is wary of completely buying into self-promotion:
one argument that comes up is
women have to… learn how to play the game and that means learning how to play up their accomplishments.…
the gameoften seems to mean trying to crush other people’s contributions so yours looks better in comparison. I think those parts of
the gameare broken.
- Heather Albano writes about setting up a court-intrigue/romance game plotline in a gender-equal gaming world.
- januaryhat: In honor of old-school skiffy: II: In the Golden Age, real sci-fi was brought to you by quality publications such as BoobieShips & TitRockets.
- The Obscurecast Episode 10 features Pewter of the ‘mental Shaman talking about geek feminism.
- The solution to everything is a reality TV show. So it shouldn’t surprise you that the answer to women in tech is… a reality TV show.
If you have links of interest, please share them in comments here, or if you’re a delicious user, tag them “geekfeminism” to bring them to our attention. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links in comments and on delicious.