- “CAUSE I’M NERDCORE LIKE THAT: Toward a Subversive Geek Identity:
In the meantime, subversive nerd subcultures form communities and alliances, fostering a collective cultural cross-fertilization that is strengthened by our multiple intelligences and identities.
- reaction rant:
First of all, it can’t be simultaneously true that women and men are equally suited toSure it can. Some characteristics that may need accommodations are not related to one’s actual skill in programming. But more to the point, some of those common gendered characteristics are in no way immutable; they’re cultural.
technologyjobs and also that women have specific immutable characteristics that need to be catered to.
- Soil change for our larva: women and wiggly things that live in dirt make for an exciting day.
- The FSF reminds me of PETA sometimes: deborah is angry at a thread in which Richard Stallman advocates compromising accessibility in favour of Free Software.
- Woman in technology: Stubbornella responds to criticisms of grants for women:
I resent the notion that women are inferior and that is why they are getting grants. Google is correcting for women being less likely to stand up and say “me, me, me!”, not for their technical skills or development prowess.
- How privileged is a geek girl, anyway?: Deirdra Kiai reflects on her privileged access to computer skills:
I suppose that when I remarked that making games isn’t really that hard, what I really ought to have said was that making games shouldn’t be so hard. I need to be helping to create a world where anyone can have access to a computer at an early age…
If you have links of interest, please share them in comments here, or if you’re a delicious user, tag them “geekfeminism” to bring them to our attention. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links in comments and on delicious.