- For the Linux geeks: Lyz discovers that Computer Engineer Barbie has a penguin
- oursin responds to “Why don’t you just hit him?” with another argument against:
If this sort of thing happens within a social setting, it’s the person who reacted in a way that disrupts the sense that we are all here having an agreeable time who gets looked at askance if not accused of over-reacting and causing offence.
- A cartoon about epistemic injustice: Women’s stuff versus real stuff on the Internet.
- TEDWomen Day 2 highlights: personal robots, breast cancer detection, and parenting taboos – Boing Boing:
I departed TEDWomen feeling very inspired, happy, and exhausted. The event was amazing, though I do think they could have done a better job of bringing more smart women who can talk about traditionally non-women issues â€” math, sports, science not related to breasts or pregnancy â€” to the stage.(“Non-women stuff”? Interesting when compared with the cartoon in the previous link.)
- Dev Profile: Angie Byron: an interview with Drupal core developer, Angie Byron
- (Warning, misogynistic text and porn images shown and critiqued at link.) Go Make Me a Sandwich: The echo chamber (or yet another reason I f*cking hate the internet):
… internet culture is saturated with downright hatred of women. I know that Iâ€™ve hyperbolized quite a bit here, but I donâ€™t use this term lightly. There is so much stuff on the internet that displays a level of disregard for women that is quite frightening, and unfortunately internet culture tends to dovetail with geek culture and gaming culture quite a bit.
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the geekfeminism tag on delicious or the #geekfeminism tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.