- Win a Scholarship to National Computer Camp:
GamingAngels.com and National Computer Camp (NCC) are offering a scholarship for NCCâ€™s June/July 2011 enrollment valued at $985 to a female student (ages 8-18) for one week.â€¨‘National’ in this context seems to mean ‘USA’. Applications due June 8.
- (Warning: porny presentation image shown.) Itâ€™s the Small Things That Count:
Everyone likes to say â€” gasp, oh noes, there are mostly men here! how horrible, something should be done!!!1! But nothing ever seems to be consciously done by the organizersâ€¦ to address this. Instead, all these little things seem to slip by under the radar which scream at women: it is not normal nor expected for you to be here.
- (Note: images of nudity at link.) Company Only Hires Naked Female Web Coders. Our submitter writes
I *SO* wish I coded because I would apply here. I would happily strip off all my clothing to see their reaction at a 400 lb disabled woman naked in front of them. I'm sure they only want thin,
- Prime World: “Nival is taking a huge gamble on the idea of tying playersâ€™ real-life gender into their game experience… Male and female players have different heroes available to them at the beginning of the game, with female heroes skewing more toward support roles and male heroes tending to be front-line fighters.” How about FUCK NO?!
- Futurity.org â€“ Wanted: Gender-free job ads:
Words likeSurely part of this phenomenon is that gendered language could indicate a strongly-gendered environment? What woman wants to walk into a locker-room-fest?
nurturing(female) can signal whether a job is typically held by men or women. Both men and women show a preference for job descriptions matching their genderâ€”women more strongly so.
- Fanboy: Alexander Chee on losing ground to the kyriarchy in mainstream comics.
- (Warning: account of harassment.) How I Deal With Sexual Discrimination in a Positive Way:
This past week I was banned from one of my favorite conferences because I wouldnâ€™t have sex with one of the organizers. Given that this is the third time a similar situation has happened in a yearâ€™s time, Iâ€™m learning how to swallow this pill of injustice without throwing up every time.
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious, freelish.us or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.