- Grants to attend AppSec USA 2011:
For the first time, the OWASP Foundation is gathering sponsors for a program to increase the participation of women in the field of application security.The grants are for undergraduate women at four-year colleges.
- The white privilege of white anti-racists:
Another white privilege Tim Wise and other white anti-racists carry is the ability to emotionally express their views about racism without having that expression dismissed as(via The Angry Black Woman)
- Following on naturally, the following popped up on delicious: White Privilege Diary Series #1 – White Feminist Privilege in Organizations
- There’s been some blog commentary on whether and when assholes are necessary to free/open source software development:
- Rusty Russell: â€œIf you didnâ€™t run code written by assholes, your machine wouldnâ€™t bootâ€
- Jacob Kaplan-Moss: I refuse to tolerate assholes
- Valerie Aurora: On the necessity of assholes
- Russell Coker: Are Assholes Essential to a Free Software Project?
- Student finds Universeâ€™s missing mass:
Amelia Fraser-McKelvie, working within a team at the Monash School of Physics, conducted a targeted X-ray search for the matter and within just three months found it â€“ or at least some of it.
- An evo-psych critique: Evolutionary psychology for the masses:
But since humans are so fascinated by scientific explanations of their own behavior, and so impatient with uncertainty and doubt, thereâ€™s not much incentive for the field to clean itself up.
- Sue Gardner Talks Women in in Tech: Wikimedia’s executive director:
I don't believe that the Wikipedia community is in any serious way sexist. The same is not true of the Silicon Valley media.
what gets focused on in the culture is defined by boys and young men. From this interview with Paula Smith (via cesperanza).
- Translation of General Misogyny to Uncomfortable Truth and From Snarky Truth to Reasoned Explanation:
What we ultimately want is Formal equality: a world in which race, gender, ethnicity, orientation and religious beliefs do not affect the opportunities and treatment of any individual. Unfortunately, the only people who think we live in such a world (or work in an industry that enjoys Formal equality) are a certain class of people who have enjoyed privileges their entire lives.
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious, freelish.us or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.