- WikiWomen Unite! | Wikimedia: “Are you a woman who edits or is active in the Wikimedia community? Or do you want to contribute to Wikipedia, but you just aren’t sure how to get started? WikiWomen from around the world have come together to form the WikiWomen’s Collaborative to support you and to support each other as we edit Wikipedia and her sister projects.”
- What Women Want (In Female Video Game Protagonists) | The Mary Sue: Includes a nice bulleted list towards the bottom of things for developers to consider.
- The ‘League of Legends’ team of scientists trying to cure ‘toxic behavior’ online | The Verge: “Earlier this year, Riot Games started assembling its player behavior team, bringing in PhDs in cognitive neuroscience, human factors psychology, and statistics to reduce toxic behavior online and increase sportsmanship in the League of Legends community.“
- Ada Lovelace: Challenging women’s status in science | BBC News: [video] “In London a cabaret-style evening of talks, demonstrations and singing, all performed by women, is marking the event, with additional celebrations planned locally in Brazil, Slovenia, Sweden, Italy and America. BBC News caught up with four of the women taking part in the London event, to find out about the experiences of modern women working in science.”
- So, The Back Cover Ad On Batman This Month Is A “Fake Geek Girl” Joke | The Mary Sue: “I’m not here to engage in a discussion about whether or not this attitude exists (it does), and whether or not it makes women feel alienated from nerd culture (it does). I just can’t decide which is more depressing to imagine: someone in marketing at College Humor (whose work I generally enjoy) pitching this specific example from their series of real life comic book “villains” to DC for an ad… or someone on DC’s marketing team saying “These ‘villains’ you came up with are all super funny, but you know… Some of our readers might feel targeted by the “guy who gets angry on forums” joke or the implications that they’re not good at personal interaction. And we probably shouldn’t use the one about executives… seeing as how we’re employed by them. So we’ll use the one that’s a girl. Girls don’t read comics anyway”"
- Thoughts on Free Speech Logic and Violentacrez | Excremental Virtue: “The implication is that privacy resides in your name, not in your body.” and a follow up post with more rebuttals of defenses of Violentacrez, On Ruining Violentacrez’ Life
- At Comic Con today, I went as Black Cat | The Grind Haus: Cosplayer gets targeted by sexist assholes, has crowning moment of awesome.
- Kathy Sierra On The Primer On Sexism Discussion | FarukAtes: “I have learned the painful truth that no matter how little you- and many others- perceive what’s happening, that in no way means it isn’t all around you and doing subtle but insidious damage.”
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.