- Joseph Reagle on the gender gap in geek culture | Surprisingly Free (podcast): “Joseph Reagle, Assistant Professor of Communications Studies at Northeastern University and author of a new paper entitled, “Free as in Sexist? Free culture and the gender gap,” returns to Surprisingly Free to address geek feminism and the technology gender gap.”
- Why can’t any recent Sherlock Holmes adaptation get Irene Adler right? | io9: ”Why is Arthur Conan Doyle’s Irene Adler so much better than the versions crafted by Steven Moffat and Guy Ritchie?” — “The original Irene was far more progressive and canny. She knows the best way to throw Holmes off — and it’s not sex.”
- BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider and exploitation | still eating oranges: ”The West has consumed moe for years through imported, otaku-targeted anime, manga and video games; but we have not regurgitated it into our own culture. The video game industry is set to break that trend next month.”
- Algorithmic Rape Jokes in the Library of Babel | Quiet Babylon: “Yes, lowered barriers to entry mean more small scale making and writing. Yes, domestic rapid fabrication and print on demand services open the floodgates to amateur designers and authors. They open the floodgates to algorithms too.” … “‘We didn’t cause a rape joke to happen, we allowed a rape joke to happen,’ is not a compelling excuse. It betrays a lack of digital literacy.”
- How I made a d20 engagement ring for my secret lesbian D&D proposal | Offbeat Bride: Joyfully geeky!
- PTSD: The Futile Search for the “Quick Fix” | Scientific American Blogs: “Preventive measures, like the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) are the only cure for PTSD”
- Women involved in Open Data | datalibre.ca: List of female speaker candidates in this burgeoning tech area.
- Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities in Science and Engineering | US National Science Foundation (NSF): Intersectionality statistics in STEM.
- Solvitur ambulando | Why we don’t speak up: “I want more diversity in the open culture movement, and I do not want the people we recruit to feel like that. Those of us who are here already, please join me in making your harassment public, when it is safe for you to do so, so that we can have a more useful community-wide dialogue on the issue.”
- Evan Prodromou | Google+: +Linus Torvalds you have a terrible temper and you treat people really badly
- Sergei Brin’s Masculinity | Coyle’s InFormation: “It makes little sense to eliminate women from your market, and promoting a product as a kind of ‘technology viagra’ is not going to win over female consumers.”
- Autism spectrum conditions and anti-harassment: “In conclusion, because it seems to need repeating a lot: autism spectrum conditions are not a reason for harassment, they are not an excuse for harassment, and Internet-diagnosing unfamiliar-to-you highly socially competent predators makes life harder for everyone except predators.”
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.