You’ve probably noticed that things have been veeeeeery quiet around here for a few months. It’s something of a life change/life crunch time for a lot of the regulars here, so it seems like a good time to bring more contributors on board!
First request for help: we’d love to have some volunteers to help out with reviving our Linkspams! It should be fairly low time commitment, and a good way to bring some juice back to the blog.
If you’re interested, read on.
Lead Linkspammer (up to 2 people)
If possible, we’d like to have one or two Lead Linkspammers (that’s lead as in Leader, not lead as in the element, unless you like the element, in which case, fine). Lead linkspammers may create linkspams themselves (see below) but by Lead what we mean is making sure that linkspams happen regularly.
A Lead Linkspammer would:
- with input from the linkspam team, create a schedule for Linkspammers to put up posts
- help Linkspammers out with technical difficulties if possible
- recruit replacement Linkspammers when needed
A Lead Linkspammer would need:
- the Linkspammer skills below
- familiarity with the WordPress posting interface (you don’t need to have adminned a WordPress blog, we mean having posted to one and being able to explain how you did it to other people), including tagging, and willingness to help the Linkspammers out with their early spams
- willingness to create and maintain schedules, including keeping an eye out for additional Linkspammers when need be, and ability to just make a decision about who is doing what if the team gets too “no, you take Tuesdays!” “no no, I can tell you want Tuesdays, you do Tuesdays!”
- willingness to gently remind Linkspammers of their upcoming spams
We’d like it if the Lead Linkspammer(s) could commit to at least six months as a Lead, and can give at least a couple of weeks notice if they need to move on, so that their replacement can be found and work handed over.
The initial time commitment may come to a few hours a week while you get set up, but ongoing it’s probably one hour or less per week on top of compiling any linkspam posts you commit to in your schedule.
Linkspammer (up to 6 people)
A Linkspammer creates linkspam! You would:
- gather together links submitted by readers (and optionally links you found yourself)
- read over them at least to the point where you can write a short summary
- post the links and short summaries
A Linkspammer would need:
- to identify as a geek feminist or a geek feminist ally, and to generally like this blog
- familiarity with simple HTML: lists, links and emphasis markup (the
- some editorial judgement: being able to decide if a link is worth sharing or not, and to select 6â€“10 links for the spam
- ability to at least skim through links and summarise their content in a sentence or two, and warn for common triggers
- ability to keep an eye on all the linkspams, just so that yours has new links in it
- ability to put up with occasional public criticism, and apologise if you agree you made a mistake: sometimes our readers criticise linkspams, although not very often, and unless they violate the comments policy we will generally let the criticisms remain publicly visible.
We’d like it if the Linkspammer(s) could commit to at least two months (each Spammer will produce about one spam every fortnight, we hope), and can give at least a couple of weeks notice if they need to move on. The Lead Linkspammers will schedule your linkspams in: one will be due every two or three weeks.
The time commitment is probably one to two hours every time you have a linkspam due.
How to join us
Let us know in comments if you’re interested in helping out: make sure to leave an email address and state whether you could be a Lead Linkspammer, a Linkspammer, or both.
We don’t need a whole resume, but a sentence about your previous involvement in geek feminism would be good, eg “I’ve been commenting here for months” or “I write about geek feminism stuff sometimes on my blog” or etc.
Please note: we cannot pay Linkspammers (or any other contributor), you will be working as an unpaid volunteer.