- (Warning: stalking and threats of sexual violence.) OkCupid allowing impersonation, which allows someone to set up an account with your email address inviting, essentially, harassing replies. (In this case, someone also maliciously posted their target’s address, which is harder for OkCupid to check for automatically, but a complaint should result in a takedown.)
- Don’t dumb girls down:
The next time you want to tell a little girl how cute she is, try something else instead.(Discussed on Hacker News, ‘ware general fail.)
- Gender Bias in Wikipedia and Britannica in International Journal of Communication, Vol 5 (2011).
Is there a bias in the against womenâ€™s representation in Wikipedia biographies? Thousands of biographical subjects, from six sources, are compared against the English-language Wikipedia and the online EncyclopÃ¦dia Britannica with respect to coverage, gender representation, and article length.
- Women’s Quest for Romance Conflicts with Scientific Pursuits, Study Finds:
Four new studies by researchers at the University at Buffalo have found that when a woman’s goal is to be romantically desirable, she distances herself from academic majors and activities related to science, technology, engineering and mathâ€¦
- Seriously, stop with the booth babes: On the one hand, YES! Absolutely!
On the other hand, women have been saying this for years and been told, "You're making too much of it."
Now, all of a sudden, the mens are up in arms. *facepalm*
- A widely linked nymwars post by danah boyd that we may not have shared yet: â€œReal Namesâ€ Policies Are an Abuse of Power: She draws on Skud's survey, and adds some additional context based on her FaceBook research. boyd points out that ethnic minorities and teens have used handles on Facebookâ€”
signing up and giving the name that they were most commonly known by.
- Felix Salmon believes Apple CEO Tim Cook’s sexuality should be publicly discussed. (Salmon discussed it in Donâ€™t ignore Tim Cookâ€™s sexuality and Why Iâ€™m talking about Tim Cookâ€™s sexuality.) Ken Fisher at Ars Technica asks Does the press have an ethical duty to out powerful gays in tech? Note that Cook is not on the record about his sexuality or his private life much at all.
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious, freelish.us or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.