- Gaming Made Me: Fallout 2 | Rock, Paper, Shotgun: “a stark personal tale of how videogame fantasy can inspire interest, provoke thought, and ultimately change how we see the world.”
- Uni gives birth to scholarships for pregnant PhD candidates | The Sydney Morning Herald: “the University of NSW has introduced a scholarship for pregnant PhD candidates.”
- Hacking My Vagina | scanlime: A super detailed post on the author’s process of hacking the remote control for her vibrator, including Arduino programming, 3D printing and more!
- Revenge of the Nerds: White Male Geeks Hack Sexism, Racism | Jezebel: “The organizers of Brit Ruby 2013 were challenged to do better by almost HALF of the github commenters, including one of their own white male speakers, and by many more around the web”
- So you want to put on a diverse, inclusive conference | ashe dryden: Lots of details, videos, and links to more resources.
- Museum of Dungeons & Dragons | indiegogo: “There’s a fundraising project at indiegogo for a D&D museum. I thought that was worth publicizing here in an effort to ensure that women gamers are visible in the project from the ground up.”
- Judge orders sex harassment plaintiffs to produce Facebook passwords | ars technica: “Sort of relevant to geekdom, since it involves social networking, and definitely something that will interest feminists”
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.
- Alice Adams writes about What women want and how not to give it to them, which includes a list of things companies do that cause their attempts at hiring more women to be ineffective.
- Chantaal wrote to xbox live to downgrade her own account. The xbox customer service response assumes she’s asking on her nonexistent son’s behalf. Others say they’ve had similar issues.
- SMBC tackles the ‘why so few women in math’ issue.
- ï»¿ï»¿ï»¿Rocket nerd Cicutae writes:
â€œDo you have any questions Sir?â€ The response was almost always the same â€“ a glance at me, a cursory â€œYeah.â€, and then they would turn to one of my male colleagues and direct the question to one of them.
I donâ€™t blame my co-workers. They clearly know far more about the rocket than I do. I mean, they haveÂ penises. All I have is the fact that I was the one who designed the damn rocket. *sigh*
- HP’s CEO has stepped aside after he was found to have “ï»¿breached its Standards of Business Conduct” in circumstances surrounding events that led to him being cleared of involvement in “ï»¿the sexual harassment of a contractor”.
- A professor at University of Colorado’s Business School says that:
Attractive women were discriminated against when applying for jobs considered â€œmasculineâ€ and for which appearance was not seen as important to the job. Such positions included titles like manager of research and development, director of finance, mechanical engineer and construction supervisor.
- Sometimes, you get what you’ve asked for when ordering “girls” shirts.
If you have links of interest, please share them in comments here, or if youâ€™re a delicious user, tag them â€œgeekfeminismâ€ to bring them to our attention. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links in comments and on delicious.