- The Wikimedia Foundationâ€™s paid 12 month Community Fellowship positions are open for application until January 15. This time the proposals are encouraged to focus on improving editor retention and increasing participation across Wikimedia Projects, a perfect focus for people interested in increasing womenâ€™s participation.
- Tired of outlandish requests on your time to review every half-baked project a man thinks of? Try the wiki’s new Free feminist consulting form letter (at least for a laugh).
- The Problems With Geek Girl Con â€“ And Some Solutions:
For the last few years, Iâ€™ve artfully dodged involvement in a number of
geek feministmovements and events because of my severe allergic reaction to second-wave feminism.
- Inspirations in science: It’s very, very personal.
On the public television channel, though, I found the real magic. Sesame Street, only a year younger than I. Electric Company. And Jane Goodall.
- Jailbreak the Patriarchy:
Jailbreak the Patriarchy genderswaps the world for you. When it’s installed, everything you read in Chrome (except for gmail, so far) loads with pronouns and a reasonably thorough set of other gendered words swapped.
- Sheâ€™s Just an Attention Whore:
The conversation was going well until my friend (who I always considered a pretty not sexist guy) said this:
There are two types of female gamers: ones who actually like games, and ones who are just trying to get attention.
- Racism And Meritocracy:
What accounts for the decidedly non-diverse results in places like Silicon Valley? We have two competing theories. One is that deliberate racisms keeps people out. Another is that white men are simply the ones that show up, because of some combination of aptitude and effortâ€¦ The problem with both of these theories is that the math just doesnâ€™t work.
- Lynn Margulis, Renowned Evolutionary Biologist and Author at UMass Amherst, Dead at 73:
Margulis was best known for her theory of symbiogenesis, which challenges central tenets of neo-Darwinism.
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.