Anti-feminist site The Spearhead has published (note: anti-feminist link) The War on Science Fiction and Marvin Minsky, arguing that a push to market science fiction to women is going to destroy science as we know it:
Many men working in the fields of science, engineering, and technology have cited science fiction (such as the original Star Trek) for inspiring them when they were boys to establish careers in these fields.
The current generation of boys will not have this inspiration from science fiction, at least from science fiction on television and in movies. Â Thatâ€™s because there is an undeclared war on real science fiction on TV and in movies. Â The former Sci-Fi channel, now â€œSyfyâ€, is a good example of what has been happening to science fiction on television. Â In 1998 Bonnie Hammer took over the Sci-Fi channel and declared that â€œmore female viewers were neededâ€. Â Over the next several years, the Sci-Fi channel became increasingly feminized losing many of its traditional male viewers in an attempt to go after women viewers. Â This included making the logos â€œwarmer and more humanâ€ because the logos before were â€œtoo male and too darkâ€. Â The biggest change was in the feminization of the programming shown on the Sci-Fi channel. Â The re-imagined re-delusionedÂ Battlestar Galactica is a good example… While the original series had its problems, it was more standard science fiction with men doing and accomplishing things. Â The new series instead had lots of relationship drama, men whining, and men generally unable to find their way out of a wet paper bag.
It links to and seems to have been partly inspired by Dirk Benedict’s (note: anti-feminist link) Lt. Starbuck â€¦ Lost In Castration also bemoaning the current Battlestar Galactica.
There have been many critical responses:
- John Scalzi: A Boy’s Own Genre, or Not
- Paul Constant: Women, Gays Apparently Ruining Sci-Fi For the Rest of Us
- Candy from Smart Bitches, Trashy Books: The War on Critical Thinking and Evolving Social Mores
- SF Signal: Is Science Fiction Becoming ‘Feminized’?
- Serial Distractions: Iâ€™m a Conscientious Objector in the War on ScienceÂ Fiction
- 21st Century Geeks: â€œI Remember When SF Was All About Straight Men DoingÂ Stuff.â€
- Christian A. Young: I Didnâ€™t Start The War on Science Fiction
- Not Anonymous: Ruining the Genre Since the age of 7 Years Old
- laughingrat: Linkage is another form of attention
So how long have you been sapping science of its energy, imagination and future, dear readers?