There were so many links shared about the European Commission’s Science: It’s a girl thing! video, that it got its own linkspam.
- We’re Really Sorry, Marie Curie | The Atlantic : An amusing followup to the European Commission’s trainwreck “girls in science” vid. Includes the original video.
- “Science: It’s a Girl Thing!” : The Un-Official response to the Official teaser video | YouTube
- Science it’s a girl thing – FAIL? | YouTube : Scientist Dr. Meghan Gray talks about her disappointment in the European Union video.
- Science: It’s a Girl Thing! | Sociological Images : includes links to more coverage and a related comic
- Feminist Philosophers asks: “And why didn’t they just show images of females actually doing science? Or show what genders look like together, doing science?”
- Overtly ‘girly’ scientists alienate potential students : New Scientist discusses the results of a recently-published article by Diana Betz and Denise Sekaquaptewa, “My Fair Physicist? Feminine Math and Science Role Models Demotivate Young Girls”. Betz and Sekaquaptewa found that images of conventionally feminine women in science fields actually demotivated female middle school students and decreased their perceptions of their likelihood of success in science and math.
- Olga Khazan covers some of the blacklash against “Science: It’s a Girl Thing!” video at the Washington Post.
- And on a different but related note: End the macho culture that turns women off science | The Guardian : “We are wasting an enormous pool of talent by not encouraging women to enter and stay in this discipline”
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.