- DEFCON: Why Conference Harassment Matters: The Ada Initiative tackles the problem of harassment at conferences, using DEFCON to frame the issue.
- In Virtual Play, Sex Harassment Is All Too Real: The New York Times reviews recent incidents of harassment in gaming and the increasing attention it is getting from parties with the power to create positive change (including from video game makers themselves).
- When Will I Use Math?: “I asked a variety of people in different careers about the use of math in their lives.” Insights from women and men in a variety of professions.
- New councillor, two fellows created at InternetNZ AGM: “Brenda Wallace has been elected as the latest new member of InternetNZ’s ruling council. She will serve a three-year term.”
- Women and the Software Industry: The Truth About Stereotypes, Retention and the Gender Gap: ” Unconsciously monitoring your every action and interaction takes valuable energy away from solving the problems at hand and growing in your career. It’s totally destructive to a person’s self-confidence and causes her to question whether or not she really belongs at her job.”
- Men of Silicon Valley: We’re Sexist, We Just Don’t Know It: “We like to pride ourselves on being at the cutting edge – technologically, economically, and socially. I know sexism has been a big debate around here lately, so I want to relate some of what I’ve seen as a man who’s relatively new to the scene. In short, there’s definitely a problem.”
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).