- Help People Afford to Attend Your Conference: “If you aren’t providing childcare, provide a list of reputable and trustworthy childcare facilities in the venue area”
- Thoughts on a Diversity Discussion: “The intent was essentially “how can we improve diversity to such a degree that we don’t have to talk about it any more” – a laudable, but perhaps overly ambitious goal.”
- Men In Tech: Marshall Kirkpatrick | LadyCoders: “What is it like to be a man in tech?”
- “Free as in sexist?” Free culture and the gender gap: “Despite the values of freedom and openness, the free culture movement?s gender balance is as skewed (or more so) as that of the computing culture from which it arose.”
- The Grassy Road: Why booth babes at CES is a dumb marketing decision: “There is absolutely no need to objectify women to sell millions of dollars worth of consumer products.”
- Third-person effect and gender in online gaming: “[B]oth genders are found to perceive the opposite-gender as more susceptible to the influence of negative effects of games.”
- Just-So Stories About Hermaphrodite Fish: “But there’s a larger setting in which the fact that sex is a spectrum gets erased, and that’s in descriptions of biology and the animal kingdom as a whole. One way this happens is when biology textbooks fail to mention the fact that instances of intersexuality are found in all animals.”
- Entrepreneur of 2012: Limor Fried | Entrepreneur.com: “With $10,000 her parents had allocated for her tuition, Fried bought a bulk quantity of parts and began assembling and selling her kits, making about $10 on each unit. In the beginning, running the company consisted of shipping a couple of packages a day from the 24-hour post office next door to her dorm.”
- The Third Bit | Citation, Please: “Another day, another flood of defensive, ill-informed commentary on the Internet about women in technology.”
- BBC News – The battle against ‘sexist’ sci-fi and fantasy book covers“Hines, a fantasy author, is posing like some of the female characters on science fiction and fantasy book covers he says objectify women. He gets into character by twisting his body into the same contorted positions as the female characters on the books.”
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.