- Nerd Rage: Gendered Tech During the Rise of Radio: “Radio is for boys only. No girls allowed. Or at least that was the message from so many young men at the dawn of the medium.”
- How you can help #banboothbabes at CES: “The problem starts when women are turned into sexual objects, dehumanized, and used to sell products to or attract attention from men (or rather, a certain subset of men).”
- Hilary: the most poisoned baby name in US history « Not So Standard Deviations: “This weekend I took the opportunity to learn how to scrape the social security data myself and do a more complete analysis of all of the names on record.”
- Daily Dot | GitHub code search reveals coding community’s hidden bigotry: “But while progressive politics are all well and good for geeks on a national level, racism, homophobia, and sexism are an ongoing plague in geek culture, judging from a stroll through GitHub, the open source code-sharing site that lets geeks bare their code—and their prejudices—to all.”
- Linux Conference Australia: Haecksen « skycroeser.net: “I spent today at the Haecksen miniconference, which focuses on women in open source.”
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.