- Disney store introduces ‘Avengers’ T Shirts that tell boys to be heroes and girls to need a hero, and then removes the sexist shirts in response to #NotBuyingIt petition.
- Jane McGonigal, Designer of SuperBetter, Moves Games Deeper Into Daily Life: Unfortunately sexist profile of a really cool person. She has a Ph.D. but they call her “Ms” instead of “Dr”, they refer to her looks as if it’s important, and the article, about computer gaming for women, is in the FASHION section.
- I’d like to belong here. Do you think that I could?: “But here’s the thing: I have not seen charges of “excessive self-promotion” lain against any of my male counterparts. Not the ones in my weight class, not the ones above me, not the ones below me. Not the ones who self-promote ten times as much as I do. I have, however, seen the “excessive self-promotion” accusation lain against other women who make it onto award ballots. And that troubles me, because it demonstrates a gender bias that has been found in a great number of social settings and contexts.”
- Roberta Williams: The mother of computer video games: “Complaints are rife that the video game industry treats female employees and female players as outsiders or worse. But it wasn’t always that way. Laine Nooney, a doctoral candidate at Stony Brook University, has been looking at the contributions of Roberta Williams, who in the early 1980s co-founded one of the early video game companies, Sierra Online.
- Memory Insufficient: Game history e-zine first issue on womens’ histories in games.
- Infographic: Forget Wonder Woman — These Women Nerds Are Our Real Superheroes: Awesome infographic featuring Anita Borg, Angela Byron, Grace Murray Hopper, Mary Lou Jepsen, Radia Perlman, and Janie Tsao.
- Is Organic Better? Ask a Fruit Fly: “Now a sophomore at Clark High School in Plano, Tex., Ria said she was excited to see her work accepted by a scientific journal. “I had no idea what publishing my research meant,” said Ria, who last week was juggling high school exams, a swim meet and a sweet-16 party. “My mom told me, ‘This is a pretty big deal.'””
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.