- Startup Culture’s Lack Of Diversity Stifles Innovation | Fast Company: “It suddenly occurred to me that the hottest tech startups are solving all the problems of being 20 years old, with cash on hand, because that’s who thinks them up.”
- Summary on Civility | The Geekess: “The LKML thread where I stood up against verbal abuse has been winding down. I’ve posted a summary of my position. As I noted, I have been listening and learning from the arguments on the thread. In the course of the thread, my personal viewpoints have changed subtly, and I’ve chosen to push for change in areas where I think I might actually make headway. It wouldn’t be a discussion if no one changed their mind.”
- The Zed Shaw Phenomenon: A Look at Bullies in Tech | wilkie writes a thing: “Let’s get to the real point, here: this is the type of personality that you can readily find within the tech community. One that believes they have authority and dominion of their opinion of you, but not the other way around. A proud individual who believes they are smarter than you, threatened by you if you start to prove otherwise.”
- Steve Niles Tumblr, This. Yes.: Hawkeye-Initiative-style fantasy-art gender reversal.
- The Visual Intelligence of Pacific Rim | Storming the Ivory Tower: “We consistently devalue the depth of visual communication in our culture–I mean, this isn’t anything revolutionary to say, it’s just the big dumb elephant in the room of media studies, that we have an overwhelmingly visual society that has no clue how to read images.”
- Strange Horizons Columns: Communities: Beyond Traditional Horizons, by Renay: “Every fandom I was in before online SF fandom was bursting with women.”
- Google Doodle marks 93rd birthday of DNA pioneer Rosalind Franklin | The Independent: “Biophysicist and X-ray crystallographer made breakthroughs in the field of DNA structure”
- Hackathon for Transgender Empowerment by Kortney Ryan Ziegler | GoFundMe: “Over the course of 48-hours, developers, designers, activists, community members, youth and entrepreneurs invested in the betterment of the lives of trans and gender nonconforming people, will share ideas and create apps, websites and products that provide solutions in challenging anti-transgender discrimination.”
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.