- What you can do | hypatia dot ca: “Believe me that small interactions change behavior and change expectations around what we as a community are willing to tolerate.” (5 August)
- The Open Source Identity Crisis | Model View Culture: “The geek identity, which has been undergoing a gradual redefinition for years, is fiercely defended by those who believe they have a real and justified claim to it.” (21 July)
- What’s sex got to do with it? | SC Magazine: “That Leigh Honeywell, an accomplished and respected security pro now on the security team at Heroku and a tireless feminist, has to pause and consider which stories of discrimination or harassment that she can tell without raising the hackles of colleagues in the industry, or suffering blowback, is in and of itself telling.” (4 August)
- geek with curves | A Sad Lack of Gamora: On the conspicuous absence of Guardians of the Galaxy’s lone female assassin from promotional material. (4 August)
- In Tech Marketing Jobs, Women’s Successes Are Rarely Recognized | NPR: All Tech Considered: Examines how, in spite of an increasingly competitive environment for tech startups, the contributions of women in PR and marketing are overlooked. (4 August)
- Meet the Women of Ghostbusters: A Comics Precedent for an All-Female Team | Feminism/geekery: “…there have been qualms from certain elements on the internet bemoaning the idea of a Feig directed Ghostbusters movie. Most of this has stemmed from a belief that the director will continue his push to create female-led movies and the public will end up with an all-lady team.” (4 August)
- [Content warning: stories of harassment, stalking, rape culture.] Code of Conduct Survey Results: Your Stories | The Magpie Librarian: Stories from a survey documenting Code of Conduct violations at the American Library Association conference. (5 August)
We link to a variety of sources, some of which are personal blogs. If you visit other sites linked herein, we ask that you respect the commenting policy and individual culture of those sites.
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on Pinboard, Delicious or Diigo; or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.