- Open letter to the gaming community | Medium: “If you see hateful, harassing speech, take a public stand against it and make the gaming community a more enjoyable space to be in.” (1 September 2014)
- Better Identification of Viking Corpses Reveals: Half of the Warriors Were Female | TOR.COM: “By studying osteological signs of gender within the bones themselves, researchers discovered that approximately half of the remains were actually female warriors, given a proper burial with their weapons.” (Be sure to read the update by commenter Andrew W) (2 September 2014)
- Interview with Chris Martens, Programming Languages Ph.D Candidate | Lambda Ladies: “Learn more about Chris Martens’s work on logic programming, games, and forging new connections in computational creativity.” (2 September 2014)
- On Star Wars fandom, feminism, diversity and anger | Club Jade: “What was revolutionary in 1977 and pretty good in 1999 isn’t going to cut it in 2015. Why are we mad? Because we’ve become more aware of these things, more outspoken, and we expect better. This is the original mega-franchise, a movie most of the first world is going to see no matter what. Star Wars has broken barriers in the past – can you really blame us for expecting it to keep doing that now?” (6 May 2014)
- Binders Full of Women: Collecting All the Ladycards in The Witcher – part 1 | falling awkwardly + Binders Full of Women: Collecting All the Ladycards in The Witcher – part 2 | falling awkwardly: “Is that why The Witcher is meant to be a “dark” “gritty” fantasy? Because you can play a character who has such a profoundly damaged attitude to sex?” (3 August and 8 August 2014)
- Obama’s next technology guru may be this staunch supporter of women in tech | Quartz: A brief profile of Megan Smith, a “top choice for the role of the White House’s chief technology officer.” (29 August 2014)
- Con$ent Is $exy: The Imagined Racket of Social Justice | Consent Culture: “When you accuse an activist of adopting social justice as their ‘personal brand’, by holding someone’s personal investment in fighting the oppression which actually seeks to hurt them, you are taking the side of the oppressor.” (30 August 2014)
We link to a variety of sources, some of which are personal blogs. If you visit other sites linked herein, we ask that you respect the commenting policy and individual culture of those sites.
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on Pinboard, Delicious or Diigo; or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.