- #FFFFFF Diversity | Medium (8 Oct): “The [Women Techmaker’s] summit itself was great. The team did a great job, and were I a white woman in tech, I probably would have been delighted at everything…but I’m a black woman in tech, so things didn’t feel quite so good to me.”
- I Watched Xploration Outer Space, and It Gave Me Feminist and Space Feels | The Mary Sue (8 Oct): “Even though I am late to the table when it comes to Xploration Outer Space, a show that started airing about a year ago, but when I saw it was a show about science and engineering hosted by a young woman, I remember that any time is a good time to talk about science shows.”
- [Major Spoilers] “The Beginner’s Guide” Is Brilliant, Horrifying, Secretly Feminist | Autostraddle (7 Oct): About the “experimental narrative-based game” The Beginner’s Guide and its feminist implications, particularly the end reveal.
- Letter to the Editor: STEM | The Easterner (5 Oct): “To the women in my engineering classes: While it is my intention in every other interaction I share with you to treat you as my peer, let me deviate from that to say that you and I are in fact unequal.”
- ‘I’m Disappointed’: Zoe Quinn Speaks Out on UN Cyberviolence Report | VICE Motherboard (1 Oct): “The report has come under fire for its troublingly broad purview as well as its reliance on dubious sources to make controversial claims—one of which is the claim that violent video games and movies cause violence.” In response, the UN has backtracked on the report and will release a revised version “within two weeks”.
- Social Justice Warriors and the New Culture War | Boing Boing (4 Oct): “There’s a culture war happening right now. It’s happening in games, in film, in journalism, in television, in fiction, in fandom. It’s happening online, everywhere, everyone wants to have the best cheap 144hz monitor and won’t stop until they all get it. And everywhere, sexists, recreational misogynists and bigots are losing. They are losing, and they don’t know why.”
- New Wearable Tech Jewelry Company Tinsel Makes Headphones Glam | HelloBeautiful (7 Oct): Interview with Tinsel founder, 29-year-old Black woman Aniyia Williams.
- Episode 5: Talk with the WG Feminist Coalition | Super Heroines, Etc (4 Oct) : “Join the Super Heroines, Etc. podcasters as they talk with the co-founders of WG Feminist Coalition, a chapter of NOW (the National Organization for Women) that was formed by students at Webster Groves High School who saw a need to bring attention to gender discrimination and subsequently experienced intense backlash.”
- The Cool Girl Trap: Or, Why Sexism in Tech Isn’t Going Away. | Medium (6 Oct): “It’s a trap, though. This status is only granted to girls who are cool on her male colleague’s terms — the second she steps outside the bounding box of that status, she is ostracized, or at the very least, looked at differently forever. It’s why sexism and other negative behaviors are so common in the industry. Speaking up about these things, once you’ve already been established as a ‘Cool Girl,’ can at minimum make you a social pariah and at worst, impact your career.”
We link to a variety of sources, some of which are personal blogs. If you visit other sites linked herein, we ask that you respect the commenting policy and individual culture of those sites.
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on Pinboard, or Diigo; or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.