- Somewhere in-between “opt out” and “lean in” there lies a middle path | Medium (Nov 9): “There are many ways life can make us miserable. There are also many ways it provides joy. … I do think that, until I retire fully, I will still be “in tech” in some way, working with engineers and all their flaws. I will experience more discrimination, from men and women alike, but I will also work with beautiful people who bring positive energy wherever they go.” In response to “Where Do I See Myself In Five Years?”.
- Everything I Love Is Problematic | The Mary Sue (Nov 6): “Representation matters, and the media we consume should more closely reflect the world we live in. What we see, hear, and read subconsciously influences us and normalizes ideas and language. And it takes time for respect to take root.”
- Science and sexism: In the eye of the Twitterstorm | Nature News & Comment (Nov 11): “Although it is not yet clear whether the social-media conversation about sexism in science will help to create lasting change, some scientists think that it may provide a sense of solidarity for women across disciplines.”
- The Geeky Baju Project | Charis Loke: Designs for traditional South & South East Asian outfits, particularly the Malaysian/Indonesian baju kurung and kebaya, based on pop culture (e.g. Watchmen, Hunger Games, Mass Effect). She speaks about her inspirations with Poskod.My.
- Ellen Pao: Silicon Valley Sexism IS Getting Better | Lenny (Nov 11): :”Eventually, there comes a point where you can’t just rally and explain away all the behavior as creepy exceptions or pin the blame on yourself. And the glimmers of achievement are too few and far between. You see patterns, systemic problems, and it doesn’t matter where you are or what industry you pursue.”
- New TV Show Supergirl Surpasses Meager Expectations | Feministing (Nov 6): “We have a woman superhero on the screen! I am excited to see how the show develops and despite what I originally expected, it looks promising. Of course, I expect there to be naysayers who “hate” the show, but regardless of whether or not Supergirl is good TV, it is a woman-centric bright spot in an otherwise male-dominated space, and that is what I think is good.”
- Soft Skills in Tech Mini-Rant | jesslynnrose on Storify (Nov 11): On the devaluing of soft skills in the tech space.
- Saving Tim Hunt | Medium (Nov 9): “The campaign to exonerate Tim Hunt for his sexist remarks in Seoul is built on myths, misinformation, and spin.”
- Mary Walker Would Wear What She Wanted | The Memory Palace (Oct 19): On American suffragette, abolitionist, and surgeon Mary Walker.
We link to a variety of sources, some of which are personal blogs. If you visit other sites linked herein, we ask that you respect the commenting policy and individual culture of those sites.
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on Pinboard, or Diigo; or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.