- Valerie’s Conference anti-harassment policy is under discussion at LWN and Hacker News (‘ware: both sites well known for faily comments, although as of writing LWN is doing mostly OK). LWN’s article will be de-paywalled in a few days, before that, go via Valerie’s free link.
- The Mistress of the Lash Wears Chains:
I began to wonder just what drove the [game design] obsession with these matriarchies. I then realised that this was the flip side of “male fantasy’- which is “male nightmare.’
- The Importance of Allies:
Ever since I started working towards the goal of increasing the number of women participating in the free software community, I’ve had men say some variation of the following to me,
I didn’t know it was this bad. Is there anything I can do?The answer is yes!
- A series of questions in photographic form.
This ongoing body of work explores the power dynamics inherent in the questions asked of transgender, transsexual, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and gender-variant people.
- Reinventing the Outreach Program Wheel:
Why, oh why do I have to be hatin’ on the good works that SciCheer wants to do for the young girls of our nation?
- Becoming Einstein’s cousin: profile on Cathy Foley, an international expert in superconductivity, the first woman to become president of the Australian Institute of Physics, and president of Federation of Australian Scientific and Technological Societies.
- Wake up, LOPSA members., or, Sexism in LOPSA, part 3
- Women in Web Development: Do The Numbers Really Matter?:
The failure isn’t the industry or its hiring practices. It’s in education, summer camps, parenting, and all the other places young girls could be coming into contact with coding, development and engineering but aren’t.
- Gertrude Rothschild, Dies at 83: Important geek engineer who improved LED displays; defended her inventions against patent infringement. (In contradistinction to copyright infringement, which poorly serves IP interests in 3D objects and processes).
- Finally, a quick thought from @heathermg:
… the head of NASA Astrobiology AND the lead researcher who discovered this lifeform are both women.
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the geekfeminism tag on delicious or the #geekfeminism tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.